A Mill Hollow Christmas Tree
Mill Hollow's Christmas tree customers have over the years helped reduce Global Warming
1. A Mill Hollow Christmas tree removes or sequesters global warming carbon dioxide gas as roots, wood, bark, needles and pine cones. For 27 years, these Christmas trees have removed on the average of 16,000 pounds of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere each year. (In contrast, a fake tree generates global warming carbon dioxide when manufactured and from the fuel in the ship bringing it from overseas to your local store.)
2. A Mill Hollow Christmas tree generates life required oxygen as it sequesters this global warming carbon dioxide. (In contrast, a fake tree consumed oxygen in the furnaces and boilers and created carbon dioxide in the process of making the poly vinyl chloride (PVC) compound used.)
3. Even when a cut Mill Hollow Christmas tree is tossed out after Christmas, it will benefit the environment.
- If put out with the trash, it will eventually end up at a landfill. Through the action of temperature and pressure in the sealed landfill, this Christmas tree will soon be converted to methane. Most modern landfills recover this methane and will put it into the natural gas to heat your home or to generate electricity. (In contrast, poly vinyl chloride and other plastic compounds are believed to be stable for at least a 1000 years in a landfill. We have confirmed that plastic "potty" bags buried 24 years ago have not deteriorated.)
-If recycled at an approved facility, it will eventually be chipped and used as mulch. The soil microbes will convert this chipped wood into rich soil. This enriched resulting soil will aid in the germination of seeds and growth of new vegetation and trees and further assist in removing global warming carbon dioxide. (In contrast, most if not all the recycling centers in the Houston area will not accept for recycle a fake tree.)
4. The revenue generated from the 15 acres of Christmas trees allows Mill Hollow to pay the taxes, insurance and upkeep on the adjacent 65 acres of forests. These still to mature forests also remove global warming carbon dioxide. The amount is estimated at 69,000 pounds per year of global warming carbon dioxide. (In contrast, most of the revenue from a fake tree sale ends up in East Asia and realistically does not improve the environment for our children. )
5. A real Mill Hollow tree is a natural and safe product if kept in water and away from heat sources. (In contrast, look at the boxes containing fake trees. Some have warnings about containing compounds which may be dangerous to your health!)
In summary, our choose and cut Christmas tree customers are helping us remove 85,000 pounds of global warming carbon dioxide per year or nearly 43 tons per year from the atmosphere. We do not accept carbon credits. We grow and sell Christmas trees because it is a way our customers can make a difference in Global Warming with a real Mill Hollow Christmas tree.
If any individual or student wishes to verify the above carbon calculations, please contact us. We can provide you with our assumptions and data used. These calculations are based on actual data from Mill Hollow for the past 23 years. They will be updated routinely as more information is determined to be relative and significant.
Environmental Practices of Mill Hollow
-Seedlings are hand planted the following January wherever a tree was cut or died from natural causes so as to continue the supply of carbon dioxide consuming trees.
-Aluminium cans discarded by our customers are recycled.
-All dead or sick Christmas trees are placed in a gully to reduce erosion or on the fence line to provide homes to the area critters, birds and snakes. These trees are eventually converted by soil microbes to very rich soil.
-Rains and not energy intensive irrigation supply the water needed by our forests and Christmas trees.
-No energy intensive artificial fertilizers are used.
-Energy intensive mowing is minimized with North-South mowing alternating with a three week gap with East-West mowing. The only times both are done concurrently is in anticipation of our customers coming to the farm to select or cut their family Christmas tree.
-Forests are not thinned with fire but dead growth allowed to eventually fall and be converted into soil.
- Hunting is not allowed on Mill Hollow property.
Home Page (Use if you do not see a left column link bar)